Mercantilism: Britain & Spain (was Re: the role of forced labor)

Sun Nov 26 20:57:46 MST 2000

En relación a Re: Mercantilism: Britain & Spain (was Re: the ro,
el 26 Nov 00, a las 20:37, Yoshie Furuhashi dijo:

> Not a _necessarily_ insurmountable problem, as you note, but the
> Spanish empire left a difficult legacy for Latin Americans to
> overcome....

Ah, I never denied it. Moreover, San Martín wrote to his friend Guido after Napoleon
was defeated: "This Frenchman has been defeated and now has left us in the horns of
the bull!"

The weaknesses of the Spanish Empire were reflected in America, of course. By the
way, your searches on Internet are amazingly accurate. Mes hommages...

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar