on the American election - a query and a comment

Jose G. Perez jg_perez at SPAMbellsouth.net
Mon Nov 27 06:59:52 MST 2000

>>The TV news channels here are on a 24/7 marathon of coverage on every
detail of this post-election squabble. By focusing on Florida minutiae, they
attempt to make everyone think that what matters are the configuration of
three county's punch card ballots, and keep people from questioning the
legitimacy of the whole reactionary electoral college setup. Christopher
Hitchens raised the issue on a brief stint on MSNBC, and has not been heard
since.<<

I do not think we should dismiss the issue of the ballot layout as such nor
the use of the puch card technology. What has now been revealed to the
general public is something democrat and republican operatives and ward
heelers must long have been aware of, that the use of this technology can be
confusing for some people, and that it leads to large numbers, several
percent, of invalidated ballots.

Whose ballots get invalidated? Disproportionately, those of the less
privileged layers of working people, the elderly, the infirm, those who have
a limited level of English literacy or none whatsoever, Blacks, members of
oppressed Hispanic nationalities, immigrants. In other words, it is one more
mechanism through which to systematically stack the deck of "free" and
"fair" elections against working people, and especially against those most
likely to be looking for a way to defend their own class interests at the
ballot box.

I think we need to fight on THIS level also, and not REDUCE the issue to one
of the undemocratic nature of the electoral college.