the role of forced labor

Mon Nov 27 12:52:10 MST 2000

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 11/25/00 01:29PM >>>

It goes without saying that forced labor of various forms has
remained a part of the capitalist mode of production.  Beyond this
general statement, however, we need to have a closer look at concrete
combinations of wage & forced labor; when & where wage labor
expanded; when and where forced labor expanded; when and where wage
labor contracted; when and where forced labor contracted; etc.

CB: I agree with Yoshie's general discussion of this long term theme on these lists.
However, though she is merely using a figure of speech, I think that in fact it has
not gone without saying that various forms of  forcd labor have remained a part of the
capitalist mode of production, in the sense that many pretty progressive Marxists are
not clear how forced labor remains a necessary condition of the captialist mode. This
is understandable because the "preferred" form , the one that capital openly admits to
is wage-labor, and it is in genuine contradiction with the forced labor dialectical
complements that capitalism also always generates.