KCNA: U.S. urged to fulfil its commitments in good faith

Mon Nov 27 11:09:27 MST 2000

I realize comrades have a difficult time supporting this  far-less attractive
revolution
than, say, Cuba, but the continued delay of the US (one we knew was coming, of course)
in helping (re-)build DPRK power is killing people just as surely as the continued
sanctions on Iraq. I hope we can move on it soon....

Macdonald

*******
U.S. urged to fulfil its commitments in good faith

    Pyongyang, November 26 (KCNA) -- Rodong Sinmun today carries a signed
commentary accusing the
United States of delaying the construction of light water reactors (LWR) it
committed itself to provide to the
DPRK though six years have passed since the adoption of the DPRK-U.S.
agreed framework.
    It is one of the key articles of the agreed framework calling for
simultaneous actions on the part of the
two sides that the United States should build a LWR power station with a
capacity of two million kw and
hand it over to the DPRK by 2003 in a responsible manner, the commentary
says, and goes on:
    The United States is wholly to blame for the delay of the project.
    The United States set about the project without sincerity from its
outset and has not done what it should
do on one pretext or other.
    The United States seeks an ulterior aim in delaying the project
deliberately.
    By dragging on the project it is attempting to block the development of
the independent nuclear power
industry in the DPRK, weaken its economic and military potentials and watch
for a chance to stifle it by force
of arms.
    This perfidious action on the part of the U.S. has brought a great
economic loss to the DPRK.
    If the United States continues to remain insincere in implementing the
DPRK-U.S. agreed framework.
Not giving up its sinister purpose, the DPRK will take a corresponding
measure. This will be an exercise of
its right on the principle of simultaneous action.