Is The FI One of the Greatest Failures In Marxist History?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Sun Oct 1 06:40:52 MDT 2000

Owen wrote:
> Comrades,
>
> Without a shadow of a doubt, Trotskyism was and remains to be a disastrous
>strand of the revolutionary movement. The Fourth International imploded long
>ago. No workers' political revolution to cut out the cancer of bureaucracy
>in the Stalinist states arrived.

I'll have a much more detailed report on the American Trotskyism conference
taking place this weekend. (Today I present my defense of the
Cochran-Braverman group, which will be like eating a porkchop sandwich in a
synogogue.) I had dinner last night with Richard Fidler, down from Canada
with Ernie Tate and another Canadian veteran. Tate is an interesting
character, recruited Tariq Ali to the IMG--he was also beaten up by Healy's
goons in the 1960s, which prompted a significant defense effort.

But I have to share with you Kim Moody's observation made yesterday during
the best-received talk of the conference, which mostly consisted of a
report on Sol Dollinger's "Not Automatic". He mentioned that Trotskyists
are preoccupied with the question of party-building. As Trotsky said, the
crisis of humanity can be reduced to the need for proletarian revolutionary
parties or some such thing. And when you get right down to it, the
Trotskyists *have* been eminently successful at party-building. No other
tendency on the left has built more parties. What they can't seem to get
right is size.

Louis Proyect