Barnesites Suing MIA

Luko Willms L.WILLMS at SPAMlink-f.frankfurt.org
Sat Oct 7 03:25:50 MDT 2000

     Am  06.10.00
schrieb  xxxxxxx at xxxxxx.xx (Xxxx Xxxxxx)
    auf  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  39DDE361.A6B19B60 at sprint.ca
  ueber  Re: Barnesites Suing MIA

AL> The best course would be to get a copy of Trotsky's will and any
AL> other papers he wrote concering the dispensation of his literary
AL> works. (Wasn't Shachtman his literary executor?) I'm confident that
AL> the Old Man would have made statements that clearly commit his works
AL> to the public domain

   No, the literary rights were owned by Marguerite Bonnet, Paris, and
passed to her husband after her recent death. I don't know the name of
that man.
   Like Marx, Trotsky was dependent on the revenues from his books and
didn't give the rights away. Copyright protects them until 2010 (70
years after the death of the author). Translations are protected until
70 years after the death of the translator. This would apply to any
translation into English.

   By stating these facts, I do not make a statement about the
political wiseness of the action by Pathfinder Press.

Yours,
/--------- L.WILLMS at LINK-F.frankfurt.org -- Alle Rechte vorbehalten --

"Die Arbeit in weißer Haut kann sich nicht dort emanzipieren, wo sie
in schwarzer Haut gebrandmarkt wird."     - Karl Marx     12.11.1866