Radical Booklist

Juan R. Fajardo fajardos at SPAMix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 9 22:59:00 MDT 2000

 Eduardo Galeano, *Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the
Pillage of a Continent*

Originally published in Spanish for a Latin American audience in 1971 it
was a seminal work on the history of Latin America which presented it in
a way that no one had before: from the people's point of view.  It was
banned by military dictatorships all over the continent.

In the US it was published in translation by Monthly Review in 1973 and
is still in print, I think, as it gets use in college courses.  It is
now a bit dated, but still makes one hell of an impression.  Along with
the Manifesto, this is the book I have most lent and given to friends
who started the process of awakening.

- Juan