[L-I] Everywhere is war, me say war

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Thu Oct 12 12:10:07 MDT 2000

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip, Oct. 12 -   Israel combat helicopters fired
anti-tank rockets at Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's headquarters in
Gaza City on Thursday in a swift retaliation for the death of two Israeli
soldiers killed by a mob in the West Bank town of Ramallah. Arafat
described the Israeli attacks as a "declaration of war," and it appeared
any attempts to revive peace talks were all but shattered.

WASHINGTON, Oct. 12 -   At least six U.S. sailors were killed and up to 12
were missing Thursday after an explosion ripped a large hole in a Navy
destroyer as it docked at a port in Yemen. The Pentagon suspected it was a
terrorist attack, but backed off initial reports that a speed boat had
rammed the USS Cole. "The explosion apparently occurred on a small boat
that was assisting the Cole with mooring lines," said Lt. Cmdr. Cate
Mueller, a Navy spokeswoman at the Pentagon.

LONDON, Oct. 12 -  Oil prices leapt 11 percent to a fresh 10-year high on
Thursday as violence in the Middle East pushed benchmark Brent crude above
$35 a barrel for the first time since 1990.

QUITO, Ecuador, Oct., 12 - Ten foreign oil workers were kidnapped Thursday
by Colombia's leftist FARC guerrilla group in the Amazon region of Ecuador
and flown out of the country by helicopter, Vice President Pedro Pinto said
on Thursday.

NEW YORK, Oct. 12 - The Dow Jones Industrial Average tumbled Thursday after
tensions in the Middle East rattled investors and a warning from Home Depot
intensified worries about third-quarter earnings. The technology sector was
weak, but held up better following some upbeat results.

=====

Until the philosophy which holds one race
Superior and another inferior
Is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned
Everywhere is war, me say war

That until there is no longer first class
And second class citizens of any nation
Until the colour of a man's skin
Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes
Me say war

That until the basic human rights are equally
Guaranteed to all, without regard to race
Dis a war

That until that day
The dream of lasting peace, world citizenship
Rule of international morality
Will remain in but a fleeting illusion
To be pursued, but never attained
Now everywhere is war, war

And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes
That hold our brothers in Angola, in Mozambique,
South Africa sub-human bondage
Have been toppled, utterly destroyed
Well, everywhere is war, me say war

War in the east, war in the west
War up north, war down south
War, war, rumours of war

And until that day, the African continent
Will not know peace, we Africans will fight
We find it necessary and we know we shall win
As we are confident in the victory

Of good over evil, good over evil, good over evil
Good over evil, good over evil, good over evil

"War", a Bob Marley song set to words of Haile Selassie speech to UN.

Louis Proyect
Marxism mailing list: www.marxmail.org