Mocking the Enemy:Freud and Rushdie

Julio Pino jpino at SPAMkent.edu
Sun Oct 15 11:45:27 MDT 2000

This interview reminded me of two tales:
1. When the Nazis occupied Vienna in 1938 the Gestapo asked Freud to sign a
letter telling the world he would be well treated after the Anschluss.
Sigmund rapidly wrote a note that said: "I heartily recommend the Gestapo
to everybody."
2. Salman Rushdie savagely caricatured the leader of the Hindu
fundamentalist group RSS, a chap with the odd last name of Thackeray, in
his novel, THE MOOR"S LAST SIGH.It's a good thing for Rushdie Hinduism
doesn't have Fatwas!
Julio Cesar