Gus Hall Dies

Les Schaffer godzilla at SPAMnetmeg.net
Thu Oct 19 07:47:11 MDT 2000

[bounced from unsubbed Nestor]

En relación a Re: Gus Hall Dies,
el 16 Oct 00, a las 22:06, Yoshie Furuhashi dijo:

> I think that the main reason why the American CP fared badly & didn't
> survive the Truman era very well is that the American Party couldn't
> claim the mantle of anti-fascist Resistance fighters as much as
> Communists in Europe could (though many American Communists fought in
> the Spanish Civil War).  Communists in Italy, France, etc. emerged
> from the World War 2 with an aura of the bravest anti-fascist
> fighters.

I don't know if this is too much of splitting hairs, but I would say
that for a Communist party to have been a member of post-war
governments and release that power to the bourgeoisie, such as was
the case in Western Europe (and NOT in Yugoslavia, which is another
reason why the mad dogs have so brutally behaved there) is not
precisely what gives you an aura of "fighter", unless you consider
"anti-fascism" as a metaphysical entity with no links whatsoever to
the concrete rule of the bourgeois.

In this sense, the American CP had the fate of being the CP of the
imperialist power that HAD WON THE WAR, and thus could dispense with
a "left" in the dealings with the working class. There would be (as
there was) plenty of money and riches to bribe them directly.  I
can't speak for Japan, but at least in Europe the CPs were alive
while it was necessary to have the workers glued to the system by
means of a complex ideological mechanism. Once they became useless,
they simply disappeared. The French CP, for example, dwindled almost
naturally during the 70s. The Italian CP lasted longer, but
eventually it melted away.

I am not quite sure what am I trying to point out with the above, but
maybe someone else may find it useful.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar