Gus Hall Dies

Martin Zehr m_zehr at SPAMhotmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:12:49 MDT 2000

"To change the world, one must take power."

The truth of this puts all of us to shame. It is the essence of the class
struggle. It is the reality that lies obscured by dogma. It is the one
factor that determines whether a party or a movement is able to seize upon
the historical opportunity to reshape history. Everything else is
intellectual pablum. Those who impress themselves and their colleagues
should look long and hard at wheher or not they are still carrying Marx's
banner into the class struggle or whether they have been relegated to coffee
house debates. The difference can be seen when imperialist war overshadows
the world. The difference can be seen when the dark forces of reaction
propagate their poison and implement aggressive policies of racist
domination. The difference can be seen when vast centers of population are
relegated to a marginal position in the world economy and thereby confronted
with the options to either die passively or die resisting.

Today, there is a time to present a new agenda before the people. The way
that agenda will take root is for those conscious elements to ORGANIZE today
for the confrontation approaching tomorrow. Excuse me for the rhetorical
flourish here, but it has been a long time since I have heard anyone on the
"left" address the issue of organizing or address the purpose of building
struggle without the PC semantic stranglehold keeping them from
decisiveness. My raised fist goes to brother Liu and all others willing to
march forward with boldness and determination.

"It seems sometimes we forget that revolution must by nececessity be an
irrational act, in defiance of the tyranical logic based on data of the
system revolutionaries oppose."

Simple truths are often the most profound.