U.S. Arrogance and Yugoslav Elections, Part One

Borba100 at SPAMaol.com Borba100 at SPAMaol.com
Wed Oct 25 05:12:32 MDT 2000

URL for this article is http://emperors-clothes.com/engl.htm

U.S. Arrogance and Yugoslav Elections

www.tenc.net
[Emperor's Clothes]

A statement by:

1. Jared Israel (www.emperors-clothes.com) USA
2. Max Sinclair (www.emperors-clothes.com) USA
3. Professor Peter Maher, USA
4. Karen Talbot (Covert Action Quarterly) USA
5. Professor Michel Chossudovsky, Canada
6. Niko Varkevisser (Global Reflexion) Netherlands

We the undersigned care very much what happens to Yugoslavia. The loyal
Yugoslavs have shown us the meaning of bravery and dignity. They have shown
us and millions of others that we can stand up to the nation-destroying
Empire, led by the USA.

>From our vantage point in the West, we would like to relate what we know
about Western interference in Yugoslav society and the current elections.

The Yugoslav opposition coalition calls itself "democratic and independent."

However, our research shows it is controlled by Washington, by the same
people who spent the last ten years trying to break up Yugoslavia.

In July, 1999, the US Senate held hearings on Serbia. The Special U.S. Envoy
to the Balkans, Robert Gelbard, his assistant, James Pardew and Senator
Joseph Biden all testified. They stated clearly that the US pays and controls
the so-called "independent democratic" opposition.

The day before the hearings the United States Senate voted to give this
opposition one hundred million US dollars. Special Envoy Gelbard said: "In
the two years leading up to the Kosovo crisis, we spent $16.5 million on
programs in support of Serbian democratization." He added that more than $20
million had been given to Milo Djukanovic who heads the government in the
Yugoslav Republic of Montenegro.

This money has funded, or even created, political parties, radio stations,
even trade unions. If any hostile foreign power did that in the USA their
local agents would be thrown in jail.

Here's Gelbard's assistant, James Pardew:

"PARDEW: Well, we work through nongovernmental organizations. We have
established a ring around Serbia which is using international broadcasts, but
we're [also] offering that to independent voices in Serbia, which are using
international facilities." [Note unusual use of "independent" to mean
"independent of THEM but dependent on US"]
Sen. Joseph Biden didn't feel that the measures which Pardew described went
far enough:

"BIDEN: We can make facilities available.[But] are we prepared to shut down
facilities that spew propaganda?"
Gelbard tried to defend US government policy, pointing out that during last
year's war against Yugoslavia, the US had indeed "shut down" Serbian TV - by
bombing it:

"GELBARD: Well, we have, Senator. during the conflict in Kosovo, we and our
allies - "
Senator Biden interrupted, afraid that Gelbard would say too much:

"BIDEN: No, I know that. I want to know from now."

"GELBARD: Well, as far as I'm aware, Serb television has still been cut off
the EUTELSAT facilities, and we have made sure that whenever they made an
attempt, we shut them off those."

The Mechanism, for Subverting Yugoslavia

Gelbard testified that the US government distributes money in Yugoslavia
through "The National Endowment for Democracy" which calls itself a
"non-governmental organization." But it is NOT non-governmental. It is funded
by the US Congress.

The National Endowment was created in 1983 to solve a problem. People knew
that the CIA bribed people and set up phony front groups to carry out US
policy.

"When these covert activities surfaced (as they inevitably did), the fallout
was devastating." ('Washington Post', Sept. 22, 1991)

So Congress set up the National Endowment for Democracy to try to do openly
what the CIA used to do secretly. This had a big advantage. Since the
subversion wasn't secret, how could it be exposed?

With vast sums of money, the National Endowment and its daughter groups
recruited "democracy activists" and "peace activists" and "independent
economists" from target countries. These people were wined and dined and paid
well. Plenty of expense money. Fellowships and scholarships and internships.
They were made to feel they were tomorrow's leaders in the American Empire.

These "activists" proceeded to set up "independent organizations" in their
home countries and then applied for money from the National Endowment (which
had recruited them in the first place!) Isn't it amazing? The National
Endowment always gave them the money!

Meanwhile, the National Endowment recruited reporters from the same
countries. These were also wined and dined and paid and thus were transformed
into "independent journalists." They took over newspapers, radio and TV
stations, or set up new ones. These "independent journalists" could then use
their newspapers or TV shows to defend the "democratic activists." If anyone
accused the "activists" of being agents of the U.S., the "independent
journalists" would denounce this as an attack on "freedom" by "entrenched,
corrupt interests" who hide behind "nationalism"!

Allen Weinstein directed the research study that planned the National
Endowment. He explains:

"A lot of what we do today was done covertly 25 years ago by the CIA."
('Washington Post', Sept. 21, 1991)
How clever! Like magic, "agents" became "activists." Organizations and people
who did what the US government told them to do were "the institutions of
civil society." Leaders who opposed US attempts to destabilize their
countries were "corrupt nationalists " who "opposed to freedom". Listen to
this statement from US Secretary of State Madeline Albright, delivered to a
meeting of the National Endowment for Democracy, held by the US State
Department, in Germany:

"I know that one of the subjects you will be discussing today is how best to
assist the institutions of civil society. This is especially vital in Serbia,
where we see courageous political and municipal leaders, journalists,
students and other activists trying to assemble the nuts and bolts of
freedom. We are honored by the presence of some of those brave leaders here
today."
Never has bravery been so well funded.

What is the point of this huge network of "independent" front groups? It is
used to soften up the target countries, making it easier for the US to take
over, politically and economically. And if the US succeeds in taking over,
the "institutions of civil society" can be used to undermine resistance to
the horrible effects of being made a US colony.

Buying Democracy

In a Dec., 1998 report, The National Endowment for Democracy described some
of the groups it has set up and/or taken over in Yugoslavia. This is not a
complete list. We hope to uncover more:

[Start of Quote] "…The National Endowment for Democracy has been assisting
democracy building programs in the former Yugoslavia since 1988, along with
the Soros Foundation. The National Endowment for Democracy has enabled
newspapers, radio and TV stations to purchase supplies and equipment,
including newsprint and broadcast transmitters. Past grantees include: the
newspapers Nasa Borba, Vreme, and Danas, TV Negotin, the prominent news
agency BETA, and Radio B-92, the Association for Independent Electronic Media
(ANEM). National Endowment for Democracy funds have also been used to bring
talented young journalists from the FRY to the United States for professional
internships. Other US funded groups: the Humanitarian Law Center (HLC), the
Center for Democracy Foundation, a prominent Belgrade-based nongovernmental
organization led by Dragoljub Micunovic, the Belgrade Center for Human Rights
(BCHR), the European Movement of Serbian and the G-17. The Center for
Anti-War Action (CAA) has received Endowment funding to promote the
development of an independent civil society in Serbia by fostering political
activism in the country's larger towns and cities and by strengthening
nascent nongovernmental organizations outside of Belgrade.
"Western organizations should increase direct support to the independent
media in Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo. Special attention should be given to
supporting the independent electronic media in Serbia, such as Radio B-92 and
TV Negotin, Assistance should target the establishment of small "underground"
print shops and distribution networks.

"The West should help the democratic political opposition develop a concrete
program which offers positive alternatives to the destructive policies of the
Milosevic regime. Democratic think tanks, independent research organizations
and expert groups should be supported to develop these alternative policy
recommendations. In addition to assistance in policy formation, [National
Endowment for Democracy] organizations should continue to provide opposition
political parties with expertise in coalition building, message development,
media outreach, improving the operations of party branch offices and election
monitoring.

"Democratic forces in Montenegro, including media, think tanks, student
groups, human rights organizations, must be supported financially, and
nurtured.

"One of the most important tasks is to increase cooperation between trade
unions and political parties. In addition, independent media must be
encouraged to report on the work of independent organizations." [End of
Quote] (1)

We urge you to keep in mind that the terms "independent," "democratic" and
"non-governmental" are codenames used by the National Endowment for
"Democracy" to describe organizations they create around the world to bring
down governments and societies which they wish to re-colonize, break up or
control.

Meanwhile, back at the Senate Hearings, Senator Biden and Special Envoy
Gelbard had the following exchange about the Serbian "democratic opposition":

"BIDEN: What can we do about inside Serbia? For example, [Vuk] Draskovic
continues to deny access to Studio B, which is supposedly--"
"GELBARD: No, he's actually given access to Studio B to Radio B-92, [which]
has just reopened as Radio B-292. We want Draskovic to open up Studio B to
the rest of the opposition, and that's a message that he'll be getting from
us in the next few days."

Gelbard was Clinton's top adviser on Yugoslavia. Biden is a leading anti-Serb
US Senator. These two men are so involved in the control of the Serbian
"independent" opposition that they know - up to the minute! - whether
Draskovic, Djindjic and Djukanovic are properly sharing office space and
broadcast time at Studio B in Belgrade.

One of the supposedly independent groups funded through the National
Endowment for Democracy is the G-17 group of so-called "independent"
economists. G-17 and the "democratic opposition" have been doing what Gelbard
and Biden want them to do. They have been meeting for months to plan for the
current Yugoslav elections.

www.tenc.net
Emperor's Clothes