The MIA, the Barnesites and Trotsky

Jose G. Perez jg_perez at SPAMbellsouth.net
Wed Oct 25 06:58:38 MDT 2000

>>Also please note, that Pathfinder Press does not claim to own the
copyright to Trotsky's writings, but to their own translations. The
copyright to Trotsky's writings is owned by the heir of Marguerite
Bonnet.<<

I'll write more extensively about the broader Pathfinder issues, but for
now, what you raise here is a distinction without a difference for our
purposes. Pathfinder has either paid for or otherwise obtained the rights to
publish these works in English from the holder of the copyright over the
original works.. The copyright in a translation of a work is derivative from
and subordinate to the copyright of the original work, assuming the original
is still copyrighted.

Also, just out of curiosity, how did the control of the copyrights wind up
with Marguerite Bonner and heirs?

José