Ellen Meiksins Wood quiz

Thu Oct 26 14:38:48 MDT 2000

Western Hemisphere and Africa.

I like eating food with my hands .

Even as to the areas she includes, what is her evidence that "But nowhere, neither in
the great trading centers of Europe nor in
>the vast commercial networks of the Islamic world or Asia, was economic
>activity, and production in particular, driven by the imperatives of
>competition and accumulation. " ?

When did the imperatives of competition and accumulation get added on to the
wage-labor institution, according to her ?

CB

>>> lnp3 at panix.com 10/26/00 10:50AM >>>
>As late as the seventeenth century, and even much later, most of the world,
>including Europe, was free of the market-driven imperatives outlined here.
>A vast system of trade certainly existed, by now extending across the
>globe. But nowhere, neither in the great trading centers of Europe nor in
>the vast commercial networks of the Islamic world or Asia, was economic
>activity, and production in particular, driven by the imperatives of
>competition and accumulation. The dominant principle of trade everywhere
>was "profit on alienation," or "buying cheap and selling dear"-typically,
>buying cheap in one market and selling dear in another.

Guess which parts of the world are missing from the paragraph above. The
winner gets treated to dinner by me at the Abyssinia Ethiopian Restaurant
in New York City.

Louis Proyect