How Should Marxists Characterize Chattel Slave Labor? (was Re: Continuing wit

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Sat Oct 28 14:37:16 MDT 2000

Yoshie:
I believe that the Marxist terminology has a *lacuna* here.  Neither capitalist,
pre-capitalist, nor non-capitalist properly describes chattel slave labor under
capitalism.

LP: Very evasive. Why do you have so much difficulty rendering
a judgement on Woods' characterization of slavery as
NONCAPITALIST? You can not have SYNTHESIS without a clear
presentation of the THESIS.

P.P.S.  I'm cc'ing this to Jim Devine & Mat Forstater, since they are not here to
participate in the continuing debate.  I hope you'll lift the ban on cross-postings
between PEN-L and this list, for it discourages us from fully developing the debate
with all the voices' inputs.

LP: I might lift the ban when you stop evading the big questions and papering over
differences.