Continuing with the Brenner debate

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Sat Oct 28 14:52:39 MDT 2000

Yoshie:
I'm advancing _my own synthesis_, which I urge everyone to adopt, in the interest of
defending _the essence of historical materialism_ against empiricism of the Annales
School, world systems theory, post-modernism, post-colonialism, new historicism,
neo-Malthusianism,
etc.  :)

LP: Did ever occur to you that 90 percent of the people on this
mailing list have never heard of Annales school, nor have the
slightest idea of what you are talking about when you refer
to "post-colonialism"? Or "new historicism"? As I said, this
is empty cocktail party chatter and rather harmless, as opposed
to Robert Brenner's thesis being adopted by 'modernization'
social scientists to use as a cudgel against Marxism in the
1980s. "See, a Marxist agrees with us that the problem of
Latin American poverty is the absence of capitalism rather
than its presence." Please let me know when you plan to begin
your synthesis. Since the Marxism list is such a high volume
list, you might want to use a heading like "YOSHIE FURUHASHI
SYNTHESIS IS STARTING NOW" to give me fair warning.