How Should Marxists Characterize Chattel Slave Labor? (wasRe:Continuing with the Brenner debate)

Sat Oct 28 18:34:56 MDT 2000

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 10/28/00 03:39PM >>>
Hi Lou:

>Yoshie insists that the Brenner thesis allows the possibility of the
>slave trade being a key element of the formation of the capitalist
>system, while my reading of Brenner and Woods convinces me that the
>slave trade-in their view-was NONCAPITALIST.

I believe that the Marxist terminology has a *lacuna* here.  Neither
capitalist, pre-capitalist, nor non-capitalist properly describes
chattel slave labor under capitalism.

CB: Oppressed labor.