A Tale of Two Pathfinders (was MIA, Barnesites blah blah blah)

Jose G. Perez jg_perez at SPAMbellsouth.net
Sat Oct 28 21:15:53 MDT 2000

>>It is hard to defend such kind of names. There is also some Off-
Road-4-wheel car called Pathfinder. There is a J.F.Cooper novel called
"Pathfinder", if I retranslate it correctly from German.

>>The distinctive trade mark of the publishing house we are talking
about is therefore "Pathfinder Press".<<

I don't know about Germany, but that other people may be using a generic
(nor made up) word in other fields does not stop you from making it into a
trademark in the United States. A perfectly generic name widely used in
other fields can be trademarked and successfully defended, provided you get
there first, establish it as your own unique brand in your particular branch
of commerce, and apply for the trademark.

José