reply to Pathfinder critics

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Mon Oct 30 18:06:42 MST 2000

Philip Ferguson wrote:

> I would assume that university presses, who are the main people producing
> academic texts, make money.  So, with much smaller costs, Pathfinder, by
> charging the same prices, must be making a fair bit.

I haven't been following this thread, but in reference to University Presses --
in the past most academic works had to be subsidized. It probably changes in
various ways over the years, but quite often the main or even only purchasers
of academic books are University libraries, and only the larger of them pretend
to purchase all new academic works.

Carrol