Talking to a Pacifica bad guy

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Mon Oct 30 13:21:36 MST 2000

I just got off the phone with one John Murdoch, who is one of the two
Pacifica board of trustees whom the Save Pacifica movement has targeted for
removal. Their website describes him and the other target as follows:

Michael Palmer, treasurer of the Pacifica board, has publicly advocated
selling one of the Pacifica stations. He has been an active participant in
the Pacifica Board's executive commitee throughout some of their most
outrageous actions - from the decision to lock out the staff of KPFA with
armed guards in the summer of 1999 to the removal of Pacifica Network News
director Dan Coughlin from his job when he ran a 30-second piece on a one-
day boycott of Pacifica programming. Palmer works for CB Richard Ellis, a
commercial real estate company with offices throughout the world.

John Murdock, a recent addition to the Pacifica board, is a corporate
attorney whose law firm, Epstein Becker & Green, specializes in
"maintaining a union-free workplace." Murdock's law firm is representing
the Pacifica Foundation in lawsuits that have been filed against the board
by concerned listeners, local advisory board members, and other national
board members. Murdock has taken a leadership position on the board and has
already volunteered to rewrite the bylaws of the Foundation.

Main offices for phone, fax, email action:

Epstein Becker & Green
Washington, D.C.
1227 25th Street, NW
Suite 700
Washington, D.C. 20037-1175
Phone: 202/861-0900
Fax: 202/296-2882
Murdock1s email: jmurdock at ebglaw.com
Email of SF office partner: btemchine at ebglaw.com

CB Richard Ellis
2500 W. Loop South
Suite 100
Houston, TX 77027-4502
Phone: 713-840-6500
Fax: 713-960-8583
mail at cbrichardellis.com

===

I was not prepared for Murdoch's truculence, by the way. Not only was I
able to speak to this high-priced attorney straight away, I found that he
was all revved up and ready to defend his thuggish behavior. In my opinion,
the people selected to destroy Pacifica from their posts on the national
board were preselected for having ideological committment against the
radical movement. This is really scary stuff, especially in light of the
attempts to fire Amy Goodman, whose "Democracy Now" show has been blasting
away at Al Gore. The only thing I can say about my conversation with
Murdoch is that he found somebody even more truculent than himself when he
spoke to me.

Louis Proyect