Nader's Olive Branch

Brian James hillbily at intergate.ca
Sat Apr 7 15:36:29 MDT 2001

Mine:
> Free trade nonsense. The logical conclusion of your argument is that since
> both Path and Ralp oppose Nafta, we Marxists should support Nafta.

Wow! do you *not* get the point and then go overboard with a knee-jerk reaction!

> After all, which segments of  the working class does support Part? do you
> have any evidence for that? or are you relying on conspiracy theories?

Pat Buchannan, and James Hoffa Junior, led massive rallies of the Union
sector -- AFL-CIO, Teamsters -- at both Seattle and Washington DC, in
which they were joined by Nader. How genuine the support is for these
fascists among the working class, and the appropriateness of Nader
sitting in with them, is questionable, but it should at least be questioned.

If an anti-globalisation movement is to be internationalist and avoid
the tendencies of nationalism, should it not try to understand what the
effected workers in other countries think? As far as I can tell, the
Mexican truck drivers issue under NAFTA is not about the interests of
Mexican workers, from either a NAFTA position or an anti-NAFTA position.
Nostrums about NAFTA being bad and therefore all aspects of it must be
opposed without question, are not becoming of Marxists and are just as
stupid as rigid sectarianism.

The sectarian WSWS actually bothered to interview a member of the
Mexican Green Party a while back (see below) and found that the Mexican
Greens had a very different perspective on NAFTA from the US Greens. Let
me state quite clearly that I do NOT support this statement in some
Henwoodesque way of supporting NAFTA. I am merely suggesting that
internationalist struggles -- and how can anti-free trade be anything
else -- should try to bridge the perspectives of workers in all
countries. The Greens don't seem to have bothered with this, even within
the international arena of their own political movement.

Brian James

----

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/jul2000/gp-j11.shtml

In light of Nader's denunciations of the North American Free Trade
Agreement (NAFTA) with Mexico and the Green candidate's alliance with
the US Teamsters union bureaucracy against Mexican truck drivers
entering the US, this reporter asked the Mexican Green representative
what he thought of Nader's call to terminate NAFTA.

Arnold Jager responded, “We are not for that. From the Mexican side,
from the folks' side, we don't believe in terminating NAFTA. It has
brought positive things and negative things. Our major income comes from
the maquiladora factories on the US border. I don't think we are taking
away jobs. The transnationals are coming for cheaper labor, but it is
generating jobs. In a few months Mexican trucks will be able to come to
the US. That is part of the NAFTA agreement and they [the US] will have
to honor it. That is the thing the three countries signed. Our party
feels they must fulfill the agreement.”

Jager's response illustrated the sharp divisions along national lines
between many of the parties that are supposedly united in the Green
federation. Because the Green parties are nationally oriented and see
their role as influencing big business and its representatives, they are
incapable of maintaining any genuine independence from the economic and
political setups in their own countries, and lack any principled basis
for international collaboration.