Left, Right, Centre was: to Vanessa

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at tao.ca
Sun Apr 8 14:11:46 MDT 2001

> Left and right are artificial qualifications. They only mean that some dudes
> sat on the left side, and some others st on the right. In fact, when I use
> my number line in mathematics, I could easily make my negative numbers to
> the right and positive numbers to the left, and then just switch to which
> side the arithmetic operations are performed.

Outside of the math involved (I hate math), this is something I want to play with a
little. The spectrum is very misleading- going from one side to the other as it does-
because by virtue it isn't supposed to be able to have an "extreme" or "far" centre.
In the case of the US, the centre would be the Democrats, and Israel would have the
Labour party, Russia would have Putin, and so on. However, all of these "middle of
the road" groupings have done some very extreme things- most notably the Democrats
have launched almost every aggressive war for the US this century- and yet get
thought of as the responsible alternative to the Republicans- but how does one come
up with an extreme centre? it doesn't exist by virtue of the linear dichoctomy. More
should be said of that.

Macdonald