Bring back welfare

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at tao.ca
Mon Apr 9 19:59:08 MDT 2001

Now, not to make light of repression but just to make light in general, a Trot told
me this one a couple of years ago:

    An American reporter gets a pass to visit Moscow. It's 1956, just after the buzz
on the street becomes of Kruschev's secret speech, and what kind of changes in the
way people are from day to day will result. The reporter finds a small tavern, goes
in sits down and quietly asks the local workers around him:
"psst! Hey you! Can I ask you a question?" He is ignored, and in a hostile fashion
several times, until finally one person responds:
"What do you want to know?" Cautiously, the American asks "What did you think of
Stalin?"  "Ahh! so you want to know about that....quiet! Come with me... follow me."
Says the young Russian. He quickly is leading the American down the street, around
the corner and through an alleyway- stops, looks around and heads into what seems a
quiet, desolate corner of the Capitol city.
"So you want to know about Stalin. Well, to tell you the truth, I kind of like him."