Java

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Apr 9 10:54:07 MDT 2001

One difference between C++ and Java is that whereas C++ supports
object-oriented programming, it does not mandate it.  You can
be as object-oriented non-object-oriented as you please.  With
Java, object-orientation is strictly enforced regardless of whether
the object-oriented paradigm is really appropriate to the problem
at hand.  In that sense at least, Java is less flexible than C++.

BTW concerning "Hello World" type programs.  In C++ such a
program might look like the following:
_____________________
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{

 cout << "Hello World!";
 return 0;
}
______________________________

As you can see, OO is not being forced upon you where it is not
appropriate.
However, if for whatever reason we did wish to be abit object-oriented
then we could write the following program:

_________________
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

class A        // declaration for class A
{
public:
 A(){};        // constructor for class A
 ~A(){};        // destructor for class A
 void printout(); // a function member of A
};

void A::printout()
{
 cout << "Hello World";
}
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{

 A a;                // instantiates class A as an object a
 a.printout ();
 return 0;
}
________________________

So even if we do our "Hello World" program in an OO manner, the
syntax in C++ is still simpler than the corresponding code would be
in Java.

Shifting to a different issue, although CS degrees are much more common
in the programming world than they were thirty years ago, most
programmers
today, do not have such degrees (I do not for example).  It is also
interesting to note that the number of CS degrees awarded by US
universities has been stagnant since the late 1980s.  This is probably
because having
CS degree is not a guarantee that you will be hired as a programmer (many
recent
CS graduates find themselves doing tech support or network administration
type
jobs) and because many people manage to become programmers without
such a degree.  Also, CS curricula tend to be oriented to the teaching of
computer
science theory (primariry the theoretical aspects of data structures and
algorithms which is not necessarily directly relevent to what industry
is looking for in prospective programmers).

Jim F.