Was: Spy plane crisis ; now Zionism = ?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 17 09:55:01 MDT 2001

[ from Nestor ]

> And I would add something else to his observations,
> something that Sartre aptly remarked: there are many times when the
> Jew is created by the anti-Semite.

One might qualify this, by the _modern_ anti-semite. In Shakespeare's
_Merchant of Venice_ Shylock's final 'punishment' is that his daughter
will no longer be a Jew but a Christian -- that is, no sense of race is
involved. Martin Bernal, in the first volume of _Black Athena_ shows
that "Jewish" became a racial rather than a religious category in the
early 19th century.

Carrol