Forwarded from Tom O'Lincoln (state capitalism)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 18 22:05:19 MDT 2001

Greg Schofield wrote: (Quoting from the Grundrisse)

>  The monopoly of capital
> becomes a fetter upon THE MODE OF PRODUCTION [my emphasis] which has sprung
> up and flourished along with, and under it.

I had missed that in my reading of the work. I have always been highly
sceptical of the notion of relations becoming a fetter on the forces of
production -- it far too easily leads to a form of technological
determinism. But this is quite different -- though I will have to think
it over to get a sense of its implications. I would be interested in
further comment by you.

Carrol