gnutella gnext

nigel_irritable mmcdon at iol.ie
Thu Apr 19 19:10:06 MDT 2001

> From: Jose G. Perez <jgperez at netzero.net>
> To: marxism at lists.panix.com
> Subject: Re: gnutella gnext
> Date: 20 April 2001 01:09
>
> >>I very much doubt it. At least I've never encountered a dj who does so,
or
> one who would even consider doing so. In fact, I think that suggesting
that
> any significant number of djs would swap their precious vinyl for MP3
files
> implies that you don't really understand their outlook.<<
>
> I think you'll find the youth culture is somewhat different when you move
> away from the major imperialist metropolis.

Ireland? Now don't get me wrong, I think many Marxists over-estimate the
active role of foreign imperialism in Southern Irish politics, but I have
never heard anyone describe Ireland as a "major imperialist metropolis"
before.

> In Latin American countries, in
> many cases, what brings the most prestige is being able to play the
latest
> music. Nothing beats Napster for that -- nothing.

As the comment I made in my original snip hopefully made clear, I see the
advantages of Napster. I use Napster. It is a fabulous resource.

Still, djing is a primarily working class hobby, at least here. And djs
all, every single one, use vinyl and vinyl only.

Is mise le meas,
Brian Cahill