anti eu-demostrations in sweden.

linus nordström linusno at gmx.net
Sat Apr 28 01:39:13 MDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marco Rodrigues" <O_pensador at email.pt>
To: <marxism at lists.panix.com>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 5:09 AM
Subject: re: anti eu-demostrations in sweden.

> over here in new york there was no coverage of that, but then again, if there was a protest in the middle of new york you wouldnt hear about it in the corporate media.

could imagine that.. especially whit the Quebec thing going on..

>anyway, as a portuguese-american i'm interested in the anti-eu movement, especially from the leftist perspective.  what are the reasons leftists give for opposing the eu?

Its a question of defending the democratic and social progress that the working class has won in the last 100 years. In the last 10 years the Swedish welfare state have been slaughtered, and it all can be traced back to EU in some form or another (ether to adapt the politics to EU so that Sweden could become members or obeying the neo-liberal laws of the European union) An independent social politic is impossible to have as an member of EU and its the same whit an economic politic. Of course it wont follow automatically that there will be an change away from neo-liberalism even if we levee the union, but the possibility to change is at least there. And it is important to se that if Sweden leaves the union three will be an big change in the power between the classes. And leaving the union is not that far fetch.. when we voted about EU the 'yes' side won whit just a few percentage. Recent pools shows that something like 66% would have voted no in that election. And a little bit !
more than 30% want to leave the Union Right now. And of course the biggest opposition is to be found in  the working-class

EU is also an military project, where Sweden has promised to send almost 2000 soldiers to the new EU military that will work for the European imperialism. Or if you put it in some "fancier" words. To protect European interest wherever they are on earth. And to that "neutral" Sweden has put 2000 of it's best troops. Now it just an question of when, not if, Sweden will go to war for the first time on nearly 200 years.

I have almost certainly forgot about something important now, but in to tired to noticed :/

>is there a realistic chance of stopping the euro currency?

In EU as a whole no, in Sweden yes, three will be an election about that in a few years, the socialdemocrats don't want it to take place to soon, because the no side is ahead whit 15-20%. Even whit the Massive propaganda this last couple of months that Sweden has had the place as "president" (I us this word because I cant come up whit an better word in English) of the union the 'no' side has had an small increase in percentage.  Even if the propaganda wwill increas to enen greater hights when the "election" comes closer (every big national news agincy is in fawor of joining EMU) the propaganda will be harder to actualy convince pole taht it is "the best thing for sweden  as a country to do" becuse pople still have clear memoris of the "election" for or against joining EU. nearly every singel promise taht the 'yes' side made ther have not ben fullfild. Insted the Neo liberal politc that was first used in the begining of the 90s have ben even more present in swedish politics. I !
think the swedish people will be quite hard to convince. So a no is quite likely