Forwarded from Mac Stainsby

ermadog at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ermadog at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon Apr 30 04:21:58 MDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Louis Proyect wrote:

> I just got my first sleep of more than five hours in over a week. I should
> be returning to my home in Vancouver in two days time, so please resub me
> as of now. I was one of the individuals that the police aimed the teargas
> canisters directly at- being hit square in the base of my back with one of
> them, roughly 1/4 inch from my spine (the street medics went over my back
> for around an hour to make sure I would "only"be in the major pain, and
> that this would not be permanent- back injuries are quite scary things. The
> gas canisters all had a certain inscription on them, from the manufacturers
> in the US, paraphrased from memory they read: "do not aim directly at
> target, can cause serious injuries and death". No shit. The amount of gas
> they used has my balance very screwed up right now. I'm walking very funny,
> which until now I thought was from lack of sleep. Anyways, I'll be writing
> something rather extensive when I return to Vancouver in 2 days- but
> suffice to say that this was VERY different than Seattle- Seattle was a
> fucking play compared to this. I'm quite rational when I say at least this:
> Things have changed, and changed wholeheatedly. So now must we.

Joan

I have read of the long-term effects of teargas in various discussions
from Seattle and from Quebec. The cannisters themselves can leave third
degree burns, and can break bones if fired at close range.

They have carcinogenics and unknown compounds. They have caused abortions
and altered menstruation cycles, months after an attack. They deform the
lungs when breathed in by babies and children, causing life-time
respiratory problems.

There is a link on www.rabble.ca. You have to scroll down about 15 pages
to find it.

You say it was different from Seattle. I keep seeing reports that the cops
were pretty much absent along the peaceful parade route, which itself is
highly unusual. During the ant-Vietnam war days, the Quebec police were
notorious for their horseback charges upon peacefull protestors.

Why did it take 4000 cops and half the Canadian army to isolate and arrest
75-300 known and easily identifiable anarchists, anaarchists who had
announced their plans well ahead of time. Why did they wait behind
the wall if their intention was to protect the wall? How did it
come down so easily? Clearly, they were using the anarchists as an excuse
for a police riot.

Joan Cameron