queery on Thatcher

Dayne Goodwin dayneg at SPAMaros.net
Tue Apr 3 13:26:12 MDT 2001

Hello Macdonald,
        Alexander Domrin's use of the word "endorsement" is potentially
misleading.  As I recall, Thatcher met with Gorbachev before Reagan did.
Thatcher's remark after the meeting to the effect that 'we can work with
this guy' was widely and repetitively publicized in the U.S. news media as
Reagan's first meeting with Gorbachev was being politically prepared and
arranged.
        I don't think Thatcher's remark was meant to be a concrete,
specific "endorsement" of Gorbachev's political perspective.  It was like
Franklin Roosevelt might have said 'we can work with Joe Stalin.'
        Thatcher's remark was used in the U.S. to win support for a Reagan
- Gorbachev summit.  Thatcher's remark was used against fanatic
anti-communists.
        I don't know whether Domrin meant it this way, but using the
misleading word "endorsement" is probably appealing to those who prefer to
blame the disintegration of the Soviet Union wholly or primarily on
Gorbachev himself.
        Dayne