Mark Solomon: racism and democracy are fundamentally incompatible

Vanessa DD jajije at SPAMcantv.net
Wed Apr 4 10:33:22 MDT 2001

"Marriage in earlier societies was based on complex kinship rules that do
not seem to have much of a biological basis."

VANESSA: Please note that in ancient times, no one could know who really was
a kid's father. And during most of evolution, there wasn't even  a language,
much less marriage laws.

"Any problems with inbreeding at a biological level are simply a consequence
of genetic similarity, i.e., it increases the odds that recessive traits
will manifest in rare but deleterious mutations. "

Vanessa: PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT SPEAKING OF MUTATIONS, WHICH ARE ELIMINATED
RATHER FAST IF DELETERIOUS, I AM SPEAKING OF THE STREGTH OF THE IMMUNE
SYSTEM.

One more thing, the human genome project found that the range of variability
within racial classification is so much greater than the range of
variability between these categories that the categories have no validity.
Furthermore, they found that Africans and Europeans are more genetically
similar than either population groups are to Asians or Australians. That
genetic dissimilarity is greatest between a black man in Africa and a black
man in Australia ends the argument over biological race one and for all.
But, as Charles points out, some anthropologists knew this decades ago. I am
39 and I cannot remember a time when I did not know this.

Andrew Austin
Green Bay, WI