Mark Curtis

Adam Levenstein cleon42 at SPAMyahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 15:26:26 MDT 2001

Argh...Not sure if my reply got through or not, so let
me try again.

--- Xxxx Xxxxxx <xxxxx at xxxxxx.xxx> wrote:

> Was Mark Curtis important enough prior alleged
> frame-up for the SWP to
> launch a huge defence campaign regardless of the
> truth or was he a minor
> figure who the SWP sincerely believed was innocent
> and who came to
> prominence in the party as a result of the Free Mark
> Curtis campaign?

Without making a judgement call, I'm afraid the answer
is probably "yes."

As to the first point, it's not a question of Mark's
importance so much as a question of the opportunity.
The SWP saw an opportunity to build a broad movement
around one of their own. They were right; it brought
the attention of everyone from rank-and-file trade
unionists to the governments of Cuba and South Africa.
Even the Sparts got involved.

As to the second point, I do believe that the SWP
considers (considered?) him innocent. I don't think
the SWP has either the balls (excuse the language) or
the desire to try and protray a rapist as innocent
solely for propaganda's sake.

Observant comrades will note that I haven't said
whether I think he's innocent or guilty. The simple
truth is, I don't know. I have serious doubts in both
directions.

Adam

=====
Adam Levenstein                          cleon42 at yahoo.com
ICQ: 17125158

AK-47: $350. Ammunition: $60. Camoflauge outfit: $55.

The looks on your co-workers' faces: Priceless.
Some things you just can't buy. For everything else, there's MasterCard.