FTAA

ermadog at SPAMfreenet.edmonton.ab.ca ermadog at SPAMfreenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri Apr 13 03:15:11 MDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Stuart Lawrence wrote:

> [...]

Joan

Thousands of Mohawks at the Akwesasne Reserve near Cornwall Ontario are
planning to seize the international bridge and keep it open for
protestors.

Let's see now, the RCMP felt they had to let the Indonesian bodyguards
keep their guns when they came to the APEC meeting in Canada because,
"when we asked them to leave their guns behind, they just laughed at us."

But, they have to keep protesters out. Right.

In related news, Quebec's premier Landry has been denied permission
to speak at the summit, even though it's being held in his province,
because he might embarass the government by talking about sovreignty. He
may retaliate by attending the People's Summit. This may mitigate some of
the violence that will otherwise take place here. Just imagine if the
premier of Quebec were attacked by Canadian troops!

Those of us who remember the viciousness of the Quebec police during the
Vietnam protests have no illusions about the impending bloodbath. I just
hope our American comrades have no illusions fostered by our international
role as peacekeepers, and come prepared.

Joan Cameron