Jean Chretien: "Democracy blah blah blah"

Brian James hillbily at SPAMintergate.ca
Sun Apr 22 15:07:27 MDT 2001

The final document, called "The Declaration of Quebec City," promises by
2015 to reduce by half the number of people in the Western Hemisphere
living in "extreme poverty." "We are united in our determination to
leave to future generations a Hemisphere that is democratic and
prosperous, more just and generous, a Hemisphere where no one is left
behind," the document says.

The "democracy clause" commits nations to furthering democratic ideals
if they want to benefit from the proposed huge hemispheric free trade
zone. At the final session, Prime Minister Jean Chrétien said the 34
leaders at the Summit of the Americas have given a "clear and
unequivocal commitment to democracy."

http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/04/22/sota_pmc_010422