Israeli interrogators torture Palestinian detainee

john.m. cox hazel_motes52 at SPAMhotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 10:43:54 MDT 2001

 > >Israeli interrogators torture Palestinian detainee > >24 April 2001 > >Israeli
Shabak (the Israeli General Security Apparatus) interrogators used >torture
against Mohammad Faraj Allah, a Palestinian detainee at Asqalan >prison. The
detainee is 51 years old and lives at Ithna in the district of >Hebron. > >Faraj
Allah told LAW Society’s lawyer Labib Habib during a visit to Asqalan >prison on
Monday 23 April 2001 that he had undergone interrogation for three >days from
the first day of his arrest. He had been subjected to beating and >sleep
deprivation (only allowed to sleep six hours in three days) until he >passed out
and was taken to hospital. After treatment, the prisoner was >interrogated from
10 am to 4 am for three weeks. > >Faraj Allah was arrested on 24 March 2001
while driving his children to >school. He was attacked by seventy members of the
Israeli Special Forces, >who fired on his car despite the fact that he did not
resist arrest. He was >severely beaten by the Israeli Special Forces during the
arrest; suffering a >head wound that required seven stitches, and three broken
ribs. Faraj Allah >added that the Israeli interrogators photographed him inside
a >well-furnished room with someone handing him a present so that people would >think
he was a collaborator. When Faraj Allah protested, he was severely >beaten. He
has spent 26 days in solitary confinement since his arrest. Faraj >Allah is
Fatah Secretary in Ithna. He has high blood pressure, allergies, a >kidney
infection, muscle pain and rheumatism. > >The Israeli Shabak has used torture
against Palestinian detainees at Asqalan >prison before, such as “Shabeh,” which
is painful shackling in contorted >positions for long hours, sleep deprivation,
drenching in cold water, death >threats and threats of sexual abuse. Ayman El
Ajluni, another Palestinian >detainees tortured at Asqalan prison, told LAW that
the Asqalan prison >interrogators used torturous methods for the first five days
of his >detention. During interrogation, he was forced to sit blindfolded on a
tiny >chair with his hands bound behind his back. He was prevented from
sleeping, >threatened with death and subjected to abusive language. > >Yunis Al
Atrash, a 41 year-old father of 12 also from Hebron, told LAW’s >lawyer that
special Israeli forces broke into his house in >Israeli-controlled Hebron on 8
January 2001, carried out a thorough search >and took him to Asqalan prison,
where Shabak interrogators used torturous >methods during the first five days of
his detention. Al Atrash was forced to >sit blindfolded on a tiny chair with his
hands bound behind his back, >drenched in icy water and subjected to abusive
language. > >On 15 January 2001, LAW learnt from the office of the Israeli
Attorney >General that an investigation into allegations of torture brought
forward by >Rami Iz'oul, an 18 year-old Palestinian detainee, would not be
carried out, >under the pretext that it was not a matter of "public interest".
The Israeli >Attorney’s letter came in response to a complaint filed by LAW,
through >attorney Labib Habib, with the Department for Investigation of Police >Misconduct
on 3 December 2000. LAW had demanded an investigation into Iz'oul >’s
interrogation. > >Rami Iz'oul was arrested by Israeli soldiers from his home in
the West Bank >village of Husan near Bethlehem on 30 October 2000 and has been
in detention >ever since. Iz'oul claims that he was beaten and had ice cold
water poured >over his head during interrogation. Due to the torture, Iz'oul was
>hospitalized for one night in Jerusalem’s Hadassa hospital. The 18 year-old >reported
that after being discharged from the hospital he was beaten again >and
threatened into signing a false confession. > >On 6 September 1999, the Israeli
High Court issued a judgment outlawing >specific interrogation methods amounting
to torture. The High Court further >stated that a reasonable interrogation was
necessarily one free of torture, >cruel and inhuman treatment. The Court
highlighted that "brutal and inhuman >means" were prohibited during
interrogation and that human dignity includes >the dignity of the suspect being
interrogated. > >LAW believes that the practices used during the interrogation
of Rami Iz'oul >amount to "brutal and inhuman means" and are therefore in
contradiction of >the High Court ruling of 6 September 1999. > >For this reason,
LAW maintains that an investigation into the allegations of >torture brought
forward by Rami Iz'oul is of the utmost importance and will >further pursue the
issue with the Israeli State Prosecutor's Office. LAW is >concerned that if a
proper investigation into the case is not carried out, >Israeli interrogators
will see it as a signal that acts of torture and ill >treatment will go
unpunished. > >Under international law, interrogation methods that constitute
torture or >ill treatment are absolutely prohibited and subject to universal >jurisdiction.
press releases since 1994 are available on our website >at
http://www.lawsociety.org > >LAW – The Palestinian Society for the Protection of
Human Rights and the >Environment is a non-governmental organisation dedicated
to preserving human >rights through legal advocacy. >LAW is affiliate to the
International Commission of Jurists (ICJ), >Fédération Internationale des Ligues
de Droits de l’Homme (FIDH), World >Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) and
Member of the Euro- Mediterranean >Human Rights Network > >