Rules of engagement

Ron Jacobs rjacobs at SPAMzoo.uvm.edu
Fri Apr 27 08:39:08 MDT 2001

I like the juxtaposition of these two articles--it brings home the fact
that police serve the same role in America's internal colonies as the
military does in its overseas adventures.  To me, as a military brat whose
dad was in Nam, and as a former antiwarrior on US military bases, Kerrey's
recent comments reveal, once again, how common it was/is for soldiers to
have been involved in these missions where civilians are targets, which in
turn reveals that US war policy considers civilians and civilian
infrastructures legitimate targets.  The press is asking the wrong
questions of course.  Instead of asking why Kerrey took so long to reveal
this episode, it should be asking why it (and the thousands of similar
episodes) ever happened in the first place. There are hundreds of vets who
still can not face what they did--some of them we walk by every day on the
street as they hide their demons in drugs and alcohol, others prefer to
believe their cause (and hence their actions) were noble and just and push
for others to do similar things somewhere else, some became activists
opposed to war and/or imperialism, some found religion, and the rest just
carry their cross to their grave.  Kerrey at least has the right take on
his involvement when he says the question to ask when contemplating war is
does it justify killing?

-ron jacobs