Ousmene Sembene

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Sun Apr 29 18:25:11 MDT 2001

David Welch:
>So I take it you're not going to offer any defence of traditional village
>life? Have you ever thought about trying it personally?

Are you really this thick, or are you putting on an act? When I had these
debates with Jim Heartfield 3 and 4 years ago, I at least felt like I was
debating a serious person, no matter the differences between us. With you,
I get the impression of a sneering cynic who believes in nothing but
getting a rise out of people. LM was much better at this then you'll ever
come close to.

As far as the specific issues are concerned, I stand with the revolutionary
wing of the Second International that fought Eduard Bernstein over the
issues of whether forced economic and cultural assimilation of
precapitalist society was a good thing. Bernstein, citing the Communist
Manifesto, urged support for French colonialism in Morocco. That is the
logic of your position as well. People like Bernstein and you are basically
defenders of the capitalist system. At least with Bernstein, he had the
guts to say he was revising Marxism. With you, you get backhanded support
for Shell Oil slathered with democratic-centralist jargon.

But I don't really need to defend my position. It is out on my website
under the heading "Marxism and the American Indian."
(http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3) I invite you to explain why you favor
forced assimilation of indigenous peoples. The Africans and American
Indians on this list will eat that up, I'm sure.

Louis Proyect