(Melbourne Age) Communists' website a hit with youth

David Welch david.welch at SPAMst-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Apr 29 20:48:55 MDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 09:29:12AM +1000, Alan Bradley wrote:

> I don't really see the CPA being able to attract any significant amount of
> young members.  They will be competing with more established groups like
> Resistance and the ISO, who have plenty of energy, and do a lot of the
> organisational work for the existing left.

The internet is a great leveler in this respect, the websites of big
and small parties are equal. I think it would be safe to say that the vast
majority of people who entered the left in Britain in the nineties were
originally members of the SWP since after the collapse of Militant they were
the biggest party and organised in the most campuses and towns so
anyone interested in revolutionary politics would find them first. With the
advent of the internet, it's possible for small organisation to recruit
people with no prior contact with the left.