marxism-digest V1 #4220

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sun Dec 2 03:41:56 MST 2001

I haven't been following this thread, but if this is representative, boy are
you off in the clouds somewhere. The theory of natural selection is NOT
"partly scientific", not if you understand in the least how science is done
and accept that scientific theory does not "spring from the facts", but is
inescapably conditioned by its social context. Note that this doesn't imply
some ulterior ideological motive (notice how conspiracy theory creeps in
here, too). There is the famous discussion of paradigm shift, when changes
in epochal world views give rise to new hypotheses and new theories, all
based on the same factual basis. The classical example is the shift from the
Ptolemaic to the Copernican view of the solar system. I should point out
that what is today known as the 'scientific method' does not attempt to
discover an unknowable, metaphysical  "truth". And 'facts' don't dictate
theory, rather, theory guides our assimilation of facts and enables us to
make predictions that can be tested and falsified (in the sense of proving
false). That Darwin relied on Malthus is trivial. But, that doesn't make the
theory of natural selection wrong. Marx recognized the validity of Malthus'
theories, in the context of the capitalism of his day. As a heuristic
starting point for understanding natural selection, they have done a
tremendous service for all biology and -- I have no problem stating --
humanity. Marx' own theories, detailed in Capital, have a time stamp on
them. Does that make them wrong? Also, note that the theory of natural
selection is also well-confirmed (except for creationists). It's my area of
research, and I see it every day in concordant color patterns between model
and mimic snakes, as well as in gene frequencies among these animals.
Virtually every working biologist accepts the validity of natural selection,
based on "real, existing" research (unlike armchair critics), although most
recognize that it is not the only causal mechanism in evolution. You also
conflate Darwin's theory with social darwinism, as do the capitalists.
Nowhere did Darwin suggest that natural selection is applicable to human
society. That came after his death. That others sought to apply it in no way
discredits the theory. Stalinists have applied Marxist concepts in twisted
ways, but that hardly refutes Marx.I should also point out that Darwin did
not claim to have discovered evolution and neither did Lamarck. Both
formulated theories to explain the mechanism behind it. Darwin did unfairly
get credit where he and Alfred Russell Wallace both should have received
credit (Wallace was correct in places where Darwin was not). But, Lamarck
was wrong where Darwin was right. Period. As for the rest of your diatribe
about social darwinism, sociobiology, etc., all of these latter-day debates
are irrelevant as far as Darwin was concerned. I should point out that
biologists are not monolithic in terms of sociobiology and theories that
claim to take Darwin as their point of departure. One thing we virtually all
agree on, whether we are Marxists or republicans, is the validity of the
theory of natural selection.

Mike Friedman
Molecular Lab
Department of Invertebrate Zoology