Talkin About the F-Word

marco rodrigues machetero_ngola at disinfo.net
Wed Dec 5 15:34:28 MST 2001

Published on Wednesday, December 5, 2001
by Bernard Weiner

First, they came for the terrorists,
and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a terrorist.
Then they came for the foreigners,
and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a foreigner.
Then they came for the Arab-Americans,
and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t Arab-American.
Then they came for the radical dissenters,
and I didn’t speak up because I was just an ordinary troubled citizen.
They they came for me,
and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.

(adapted from Pastor Niemoller’s 1945 quote about the Nazis*)

I’ve been steering clear of the F-word, because too many on the Left fling that term so carelessly that it soon loses its truth-punch. But things are happening, so quickly, in this country that are taking us closer to a brand of near-fascism that is frightening in its seeming acceptance by the American populace and in its implications for the future of American democracy.

 The non-domestic corollary: America, already resented and hated for its arrogant attitudes and policies around the world, is behaving more and more like a mad bull on a Pax Americana rampage.
In short, we appear to be at one of those moments in American history where the executive branch, using the genuine need to respond to a terrorist attack of massive proportions, is badly over-reaching in both domestic and foreign areas. (The first draft of Ashcroft’s anti-terrorism law even recommended suspension of the rule of habeus corpus, which would have allowed for indefinite incarceration without charges or trials.) The Administration figures it can get away with its current actions, and assume even more power, because the Congress and the American people are frightened and willing to bend over backwards to make sure the President has the power he needs during “wartime.” ...

http://globalfreepress.com/article.pl?sid=01/12/05/1652227