The War Prayer by Mark Twain (fwd)

ermadog at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ermadog at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Thu Dec 6 18:35:59 MST 2001

The War Prayer
By Mark Twain

"O Lord our Father, our young patriots, idols of our hearts, go forth
into battle--be Thou near them!  With them--in spirit--we also go
forth from the sweet peace of our beloved firesides to smite the foe.

O Lord our God, help us tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our
shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of
their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the
shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste
their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the
hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to
turn them out roofless with their little children to wander
unfriended in the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger
and thirst, sports of the sun flames in summer and the icy winds of
winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring thee for the
refuge of the grave and denied it--for our sakes who adore Thee,
Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter
pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears,
strain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet!  We ask
it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who
is the ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and
seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts.

Amen.