status of humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan?

marco rodrigues machetero_ngola at disinfo.net
Fri Dec 7 12:12:17 MST 2001

Shortly before the bombing began, and for a few days thereafter, I remember readign several reports from organizations such as Oxfam saying that due to the winter and the bombing, which was preventing food supplies from coming in, that anywhere from 1 to 7.5 million Afghanis were in imminent danger of death by starvation.

I'm wondering what the current status of this crisis is, now that the "war" seems to be coming to an end, at least in Afghanistan, quicker than many thought.  Have many already starved because of the war?  And what about the bombardment of bridges and roads, will this make it harder to deliver aid once there is some sort of peace in Afghanistan?  And what about those cluster-bomb look-alike food drops, is that still going on?