Afghan Women's Group Gloomy on Post - Taliban Era

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Mon Dec 10 05:57:54 MST 2001

December 10, 2001

Afghan Women's Group Gloomy on Post - Taliban Era

By REUTERS

Filed at 7:15 a.m. ET

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Afghan women staged a protest in Pakistan on
Monday, denouncing past abuses by factions making up their country's
new government and predicting that the lot of women would be no better
than under the hard-line Taliban.

``The Northern Alliance were criminals to our mothers and young
daughters,'' the women shouted at a small demonstration in the
Pakistani capital. Children accompanying them waved banners and
pictures of Northern Alliance fighters killing Taliban.

[snip]

The Taliban, ousted by U.S.-backed tribal rivals, forced women to wear
the all-enveloping burqa and banned them from working, studying or
leaving home without a male relative -- a harsh restriction in a land
with many widowed in two decades of war.

But the leftist Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan
(RAWA) said in a statement that factions within the victorious
Northern Alliance were guilty of widespread rape of women and girls
when in power in the early 1990s

``We don't believe that they will not repeat the crimes they committed
from 1992 to 1996,'' Alia Nazeer, a RAWA spokeswoman, told Reuters.

[ cont'd. at:
http://nytimes.com/reuters/world/international-attack-afghan-women.html
]