Madonna

Philip Ferguson plf13 at it.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Dec 10 14:44:35 MST 2001

Anthony wrote:

>Probably not too many Marxists are Madonna fans,

Don't know about that.  I sure am.  She's pretty darn fab, if you ask me.

I am also a fan of alt.country, especially people like the fantastic and
mesmerising Lucinda Williams whose 'Essence' would be my album of the year.

My favourite singles of the past year are probably Stained's "It's Been  A
While" (hard rock/heavy metal), Madonna's "Don't Tell Me" (pop) and Lamb's
"Gabriel" (difficult to classify, part electro/part classical sounding).
The CDs I listen to most at present are the last three of Lucinda Williams,
a Sulif Keita collection (a singer from Mali), Stained's "Break the Cycle",
anything by Julie Miller, Lamb's "What Sound", Emmylou Harris' 'Wrecking
Ball', Son Volt's eponymous, Live's "Throwing Copper", Cassandra Wilson's
"New Moon Daughter" (jazz/soul) and various Neil Young.  Plus every now and
then over the past year I have been digging out my old Van der Graaf
Generator and Peter Hammill vinyls, plus Jethro Tull's "Stand Up" and
"Benefit".  And Roberta Flack's 'Quiet Fire", with the wonderful tracks "Go
Down Moses" and "Sunday and Sister Jones".