Forwarded from John Gulick

sherrynstan at igc.org sherrynstan at igc.org
Wed Dec 12 11:31:48 MST 2001

No weighing in here on the Kautsky question, but while US manufacturing output has increased, that does not contradict that the military sector is supporting that increase.  We ahve lost half a million jobs in textiles and tobacco in my state, since NAFTA.  The stongest sector in US manufacturing growth has been technology.  It is heavily subsidized by the Depatment of Defense and by the shadow DoD, the Department of Energy.  There is one defense contract alone that puts half a billion a year into the area around where I live, the Research Triangle Park.  Our textiles went south.  Our tobacco went south.  Our dot-coms went bust, with the singular exception of those dealing with the Defense Troika.