"The Skeptical Environmentalist" under scrutiny

ermadog at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ermadog at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed Dec 12 12:48:31 MST 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Louis Proyect wrote:

> Lomborg, an associate professor of statistics at Denmark's University of
> Aarhus, applies the doctrine of doubt to environmentalism and concludes
> that most of the movement's sacred cows are, to put it bluntly, bull:

Wasn't it Mark Twain who said, "There are lies, damn lies, and
statistics!" Given the religiosity of the modern environmental and whole
food activists movement right from their inception 30 years ago, it is no
wonder that "hard-headed scientists" such as Lomborg are skeptical about
the movement as a whole. However, given the impressive accomplishments of
environmental scientists such Canada's David Suzuki, one must wonder if
Lomborg has any integrity at all, or is just brain dead.

It is more important than ever that we chuck the religiosity and
concentrate on the science. The revolution is not an "Ethical Culture"
society, nor can it be. All generalized morality eventually ends up
serving the bourgeoisie. When I continue my discussion of "ancient
wisdom", I will show that it is simply the "mother of all moralizing" and
boils down to grand rationalization of the status quo.

I'm not at all looking forward to duking it out with a person of your
considerable talents, Louis; but, as they say in Operation Rescue, "Every
mind saved is worth it."

Joan Cameron