Forwarded from Anthony (reply to Nestor)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 14 13:28:00 MST 2001

Nestor wrote, that

"Russia was no military match at all for "European, US and Japanese
imperialism before the revolution". Remember Porth Arthur, Tsushima, and
the elementary fact that during World War I the only section of the front
where the Czarist army could obtain some limited success was the
Southwestern front, where the Russian army confronted the army of the
equally backwards Austro Hungarian Empire. In fact, both military defeats
were very important in unleashing the 1905 and 1917 revolutions."

While the above is true, I think it misses the significance of Russian
participation in WWI - which was to hold down a German army on the Eastern
Front, and keep it off of the western front. When the Bolsheviks took
power, that army was transferred as rapidly as possible to the western
front, where it almost broke the stalemate of trench warfare.

I do not think the discussion between Lou et. al. and Jared et. al. centers
on whether or not the masses have been defeated in the fSU, although that
is one of the issues under discussion. My personal position is that the
defeat of the Soviet Union in the cold war was a defeat for the working
class all over the world, most of all in the fSU.

On the other hand, I do not think you have to agree with this position to
share my view that US imperialism's global strategy has shifted from one
centered on defeating the USSR, to one centered on insuring US dominance
versus all competitors globally - whether they are other imperialists,
national bourgeoisies with a taste for independence, revolutionaries, or
former CIA mercenaries.

All the best, Anthony

Louis Proyect