Nannies and imperialism

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Dec 18 10:07:30 MST 2001

Do we have to look to the Philipines to see how market forces shred family
values so dear to the right?  How many Black women before the days of the
nannies left their children to care for those of the more affluent -- although
they did get to come home at night?  What about the people working multiple
jobs just to survive, leaving latch-key children to the mercy of the streets?

I suspect that this is one of the least commented-on aspects of capitalism
today.
--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department