Nannies and imperialism

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 18 10:57:58 MST 2001

The Nanny situation is a lose-lose situation.  Nanies are no longer employed only
by the rich who incidentially are still using professionally, (British Nannies)
who are careerists and not particularly exploited.  Nannies are now used by the
middle income segment of the world's population, because of the necessary two
income household finacial fornula.  The Western culture of the nuclear family is
also exclusionary , so that grand parents rather die than take care of their grand
children.  As a result, children of well educated parents are being brought up by
uneducated and culturally deprived naanies of a lower income background.  The
incidents of child abuse by frustrated and angery nannies is very high, and
accidents cuased by uncaring or untrained nannies.  One baby suffered third degree
burns because the newly immigrated nanny was unaware of the hiogh temperature of
US hot running water.  Parents who struggle to increase their income in hope of a
better life are condemning their children to the worst of Fourth World poverty
conditions in the affluent section of US cities.  There was a movement for
companies run day care centers during the brief labor shortage ib few years ago,
but that was cut short by the New Economy collapse.  The "family value" of US
society is repugnant, with open neglect of the aged and the young, regardless of
income.

People are the greated wasted resource in the world today, much worse than the
environment.

Henry C.K. Liu