Looting in Buenos Aires

jaquero jaquer0 at yahoo.es
Wed Dec 19 22:52:55 MST 2001

Nestor's message is not overly dramatic. Martial Law has, in fact, been
decreed. Whether they can also impose it is, of course, another question.

Although ignored by the "mainstream" U.S. media, today's Argentine
developments, jujdging from the pictures and accounts reaching
Spanish-language channels in the U.S., could well turn out to be historic.

Because "this great mass of humanity has said 'Enough!' And has begun to
march." (Fidel, 2nd declaration of Havana).

There have been large, spontaneous, semi-insurrectional rebellions in
various cities. Their immediate target has been the stores and supermarkets,
for Cavallo and his bosses, the imperialist bankers, have left countless
millions of Argentines in hunger.

The people carrying out the direct redistribution of goods in supermarkets
and other stores, judging by the pictures and accounts, seem to be
overwhelmingly young people -- and, as far as can be seen -- seem really
desperate. The #1 target seems to be supplies of meat --presumably, knowing
the Argentines, beef-- followed by canned goods.

Even while the gasbags on the U.S. TV news blabfests pontificate and
blovulate endlessly about the ending of one stage in *their* war against
"terrorism" in Afghanistan, the REAL war against the REAL terrorists -- the
imperialists bloodsuckers who have been looting the Third World without
restraint since the collapse of the Soviet Union especially-- is breaking
out in the southern cone.

Their brethren "analysts" and "journalists" on the Spanish-language are all
now making sympathetic noises: "¿How could Cavallo have pressed people so
hard so as to drive them into hunger, riot, desperation? ¿Can't the banks be
a little less greedy, and a little more intelligent?"

Reminds me of the song:

With compromise sway we gave in half way
When we saw that rebellion was growing.
Now everything's lost as they kneel by the cross
Where the blood of christ is still flowing.
Too late for their sorrow they've reached their tomorrow
and reaped the seed they were sowing.
Now harvested by the ringing of revolution.
.
Down on our knees we're begging you please,
We're sorry for the way you were driven.
There's no need to taunt just take what you want,
and we'll make amends, if we're living.
But away from the grounds the flames told the town
that only the dead are forgiven.
As they vanished inside the ringing of revolution.

(Phil Ochs, Ringing of Revolution)

The Argentine government has declared martial law against the "rioters." We
must be prepared not to hear from our usual correspondents on this list for
a while. It may no longer be safe for them to speak freely in their own
names. Also --let's hope-- they are going to be a little busy.

The bourgeois think they can put this down in a day or two. Maybe. Maybe
not. And maybe even if they do that with this outbreak, the NEXT one will
not be so easy.

On the other side, there are reasons to take heart. At a newsroom I know of,
one that follows events in Argentina closely, they've started the "death
watch" office pool. Whoever comes closest to the exact date and time of the
current Argentine administration's demise will win. There's only been a half
dozen bets so far -- but not a single one for 2002.

Jaquero

"The war is inevitable -- and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

"It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace,
Peace -- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale
that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding
arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is
it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so
sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it,
Almighty God!

"I know not what course others may take but as for me: give me liberty or
give me death." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot and Revolutionist